Audio-Technica ATR2100 Review
The Audio-Technica ATR2100 is a multipurpose USB microphone that also offers conventional XLR output, making it an ideal microphone for songwriters, performers, musicians and podcasters. The ATR2100 is a plug-and-play microphone that you can hook up with your Windows or Mac computer and use with almost every recording software.
Features at a Glance
- USB microphone with an additional XLR cable that plugs into any standard preamp or mixer.
- Includes 3.5mm output for latency-free monitoring.
- Headphone volume can be controlled with easy-to-use controls.
- Extended, smooth response for home studio recording, podcasting, voiceover, on-stage use or field recording.
- Excellent AD converter with a 16-bit, 44.1-48 KHz sampling rate.
Audio-Technica ATR2100 Review: Our Opinion
Audio-Technica ATR2100 is known for its versatility and ease of use. With its USB and XLR analog output, you don’t need two separate microphones for your computer and preamp. It’s perfect for studio and home recording as well as for on-stage performances. The Audio-Technica ATR2100 is plug-and-play compatible and requires no additional drivers or software to run. The microphone offers on-microphone volume control features as well as a headphone jack for zero-latency microphone monitoring, so there’s no audible delay. As far as its audio quality is concerned, it doesn’t compete with the high-end professional-grade microphones, but for a dual-output microphone with a decent audio quality, it offers good value for its price. The microphone is not only good for podcasting, but it’s also ideal for music recording. The microphone also features an asymmetrical tripod stand that offers extra stability. The stand is foldable and portable which adds to the convenience. The microphone’s cardioid pattern improves sound isolation by reducing pickup of sound from the rear and sides. In addition, the microphone includes XLR and USB cables and an on/off switch for both analog and USB function. As far as the device’s build is concerned, the ATR2100 features a durable metal construction. We would recommend checking out our best microphones for YouTube as we mention this microphone in that article. The ATR2100-USB microphone bwill perform get for those interested in a microphone for gaming videos.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac computer and any recording software.
- USB digital output and additional XLR analog output.
- Built-in headphone jack for zero-latency monitoring with no audible delay.
- Lightweight diaphragm offers smooth and excellent frequency response.
- Flimsy microphone stand but unlikely to topple.
- Great sound fidelity but narrower frequency range than other XLR microphones.
- Doesn’t capture the ultra-low tones but covers the human voice and midrange perfectly.