Neewer 160 LED CN-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera Review
What It Does Well
- The Neewer CN-160 comes with 160 dimmable LED lights that are evenly spaced along a reflective silver surface. The LEDs light up a subject brilliantly and the option that the lights are dimmable makes the CN-160 effective in almost all environments.
- The flexibility in the battery choice of the CN-160 makes it more affordable and fairly versatile since you can either use it with six AA batteries or use a camera battery pack (the compatible options will be covered later). On Sony NP-F550 batteries, the CN-160 runs for an impressive 90 minutes – that too on full brightness.
- The plastic build makes the light panel very affordable and light, making the CN-160 easy to use and carry around.
- The Neewer CN-160 also features a lockable hotshot adapter and tripod mount, making it easier to adjust the angle and position.
What It Does Not Do Well
- With cost-efficiency comes a cheaper production cost, and one of the issues with the CN-160 is that the plastic build makes it brittle.
- Although the 160 LED lights on the light panel provide exceptionable lighting for one subject, it is recommended that more light panels are used for multiple subjects to give more professional results.
- It is assured that the CN-160 can run for an impressive amount of time on Sony NP-F550 batteries, but the battery life would vary drastically if AA batteries are used. Hence, it’s recommended to use rechargeable batteries.
All in all, the Neewer CN-160 is a great option if one goes for cost efficiency over build quality. The light panel is ideal for lighting up a subject and helps give very professional, crisp, and natural-looking photographs.
The dimmable option, controlled by a dial on the side, makes it ideal to use in various environments. Adding to this versatility is the choice of compatible batteries one can use with the CN-160 since a user may use any battery. Then there is the adjustability of the CN-160; the panel attaches well onto the hotshot adapter and the tripod mount, both of which help adjust the angle and position respectively.
Another feature to note is the press and hold button located on the corner of the battery holder to check the current battery level. Although the build quality does prove to be a problem for extended use, the light panel itself can work for over 90 minutes on full brightness while using one of the various battery packs that are compatible with it. On a similar note, one important recommendation for usage of the product is that you should buy a good quality, rechargeable battery pack for a good experience since AA batteries run out far too quickly.
Dimmable, adjustable and simply wonderful, the Neewer CN-160 gives a great user experience to beginners, amateurs and professionals alike. You should really check it out!